Monday, March 21, 2016

Mantra Time

I have had a few days to do nothing but be quiet, heal and think.  Surgery will do that to a person.  Hospital stays of over a week can do that for a person.  So after my many hours of contemplating the many facets of my life, I am excited to say that I have finally decided on my mantra for this year.  I know it is late but in all honesty I have been a little preoccupied! Ron, of course, tells me that I should keep my mantra from last year...  

"Strive to view my self-worth as the Lord does rather than through the eyes of the world."

Which will actually be a lifetime mantra as I still have work to do on actually feeling like I can live this way each day.  It is with great personal pleasure that I introduce my 2016 mantra...

Walk by faith
Be grateful
Love much
Be happy

What exactly is a mantra and why do I have a new one each year.  A mantra, according to the great Webster, is...
noun man·tra \ˈmän-trə also ˈman- or ˈmən-\
       : a sound, word, or phrase that is repeated by someone who is praying or meditating

: a word or phrase that is repeated often or that expresses someone's basic beliefs

In an earlier post I expressed why I blog, it is a form of meditation for me.  I use mantras to help me focus on a certain behavior, attitude or skill that I would like to develop over the coming year.  Not that I fully develop them but I feel like I am progressing into becoming a better person as I live by my mantra.  Having it posted on my wall, my blog, calendar and fridge helps me to repeat it often so that I am aware of what I am trying to change.  So this year I will...

Walk by Faith
         I will try not to let doubts cloud my mind.  I will be faithful instead of fearful.  I will trust the Lord and follow the promptings that I receive.

Be Grateful
         I will focus more of my efforts in showing gratitude in my prayers then in asking for blessings.  I will try to thank others for the things that they do that might go unnoticed and unappreciated.

Love Much
         I don’t think that one can love enough.  Show it, express it and be grateful that you have people to love and who love you.  I am going to try to be nice and kind to all that cross my path, in this world that is a tall order.  It seems that so many people are bent on hurting, fighting, harming and putting down others, the world would be a better place if we all would Love Much.

Be Happy
         Such a simple phrase and yet it is hard to do at times.  I look around and see the unfairness of things. But I need to be content with life and the beauty it holds every morning.  


2 comments:

char said...

Those are amazing things. I feel you do all of these already. I know I am a better person for knowing you.

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

I love that you do this and share! Thank you! I still remember you teaching institute one night and saying, "Live this year so you can look back and say 'Wow! 2006 was a great year!" I always think about that. I love your Mantra!