Friday, September 2, 2011

The Last Fifty

At midnight I will complete my 50th year of life!  It is strange how fast the time goes.  I remember when waiting for Christmas morning seemed like an eternity, now it feels like Christmas is always right around the corner.

Today I decided to celebrate by doing a personal triathlon.  Bright and early I headed to the pool to swim 1,000 meters.  Next came a quick 1.5 mile run around the lake, followed by a 10.5 mile bike ride.  When I jumped into the pool at 7:30 am rain was falling making lovely little ripples on top of the water.  By the time I was running at 8:00 am the rain had stopped but I was hopping through some large puddles - I love doing that it reminds me of being a kid again.  The SUN was shining brightly while I rode the 10.5 miles and I was feeling the warmth spread through out my body.  Being active makes me feel alive, and as a cancer survivor being alive is a GOOD thing!!  I am grateful for every breath of air I breathe and for a body that can move with relative ease - I know that as I grow older that will not always be the case.  So I am trying to enjoy all that life has to offer. 

This last year I have stood at many a fork in the road and I feel like I  have taken the one less traveled.  My experience this year have caused me to grow in ways that I would never imagine.  My heart has expanded at the same time feelings and impressions have been etched upon my soul.  Age does marvelous things to people, it helps them gain perspective of what is truly important...LOVE in all its many different forms. 

I acknowledge the accomplishments and the failures of the last fifty years.  For all experiences happy and sad, good or bad, easy or hard have been for my benefit and grow.  I see who I have become in 50 years and I look forward to the next fifty.

1 comment:

Lauralee said...

I just love you! YOU are amazing!