I was recently teaching a class of 14 year old young women, the lesson topic was "Avoiding Dishonesty". I have always thought that I was a pretty honest person, yet pretty honest is not perfectly honest. Is there such a thing as half honesty, partial honesty or somewhat honest? Isn't Honesty Honest - all of the time!
We had a great discussion of what honesty is and what it is not. For example...Does one just say anything they feel or think regardless of who they might hurt? What is a white lie compared to normal lie? How do we use righteous judgment when answering question that require a judgment?
I feel that one of the hardest things to do in this life is to be honesty with oneself.
I was reminded of the story of Jane Eyre, when Mr. Rochester asks Jane to live with him outside the bonds of marriage. She refuses and Mr. Rochester yells.."Jane do you not care for me?" Jane answers..
" I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God...Laws and principles are not for the times when there is not temptation: they are for such moments as this...If at my my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth? They have worth...and are all I have at this hour to stand by: and there I plant my foot" ~ Jane Eyre
As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints..I "believe in being honest, true, chaste ,benevolent and in doing good to all men..."
Those are hard virtues to live by each and every day, and yet that is what I believe is required of me. I believe that each day we make a choice on what side of the line we stand. And I plant my foot like Ms. Eyre on the side of righteous principles even if I am my only friend and listener. I may not achieve perfect honesty in this life - but I will die trying! The intention of my heart is to be honest, to stand for truth, to be found doing good for those that surround me - family, friends and fellowmen.
In the last few years I have learned for myself that honesty is not just the best policy - it is the only policy.
We had a great discussion of what honesty is and what it is not. For example...Does one just say anything they feel or think regardless of who they might hurt? What is a white lie compared to normal lie? How do we use righteous judgment when answering question that require a judgment?
I feel that one of the hardest things to do in this life is to be honesty with oneself.
I was reminded of the story of Jane Eyre, when Mr. Rochester asks Jane to live with him outside the bonds of marriage. She refuses and Mr. Rochester yells.."Jane do you not care for me?" Jane answers..
" I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God...Laws and principles are not for the times when there is not temptation: they are for such moments as this...If at my my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth? They have worth...and are all I have at this hour to stand by: and there I plant my foot" ~ Jane Eyre
As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints..I "believe in being honest, true, chaste ,benevolent and in doing good to all men..."
Those are hard virtues to live by each and every day, and yet that is what I believe is required of me. I believe that each day we make a choice on what side of the line we stand. And I plant my foot like Ms. Eyre on the side of righteous principles even if I am my only friend and listener. I may not achieve perfect honesty in this life - but I will die trying! The intention of my heart is to be honest, to stand for truth, to be found doing good for those that surround me - family, friends and fellowmen.
In the last few years I have learned for myself that honesty is not just the best policy - it is the only policy.

No comments:
Post a Comment