Eleven years ago I was diagnosed with BREAST CANCER! I had just turned 40 on September 3rd, and was looking forward to life when it seemed that the walls of time came squeezing in on me. Looking back, I am amazed at how I handled the situation and the emotional, spiritual and mental growth that has taken place within the last eleven years.
As an avid Jane Austen fan, I would like to make an analogy with her novel Pride and Prejudice and my cancer story.
When Elizabeth Bennet meets Mr. Darcy for the first time, she is confronted with someone that is so totally different from her she can't seem to understand what "He" is all about. The exchange of ideas and feelings has its way of changing her her. Although Elizabeth remains true to herself throughout the novel she does not look at herself and other people in quite the same narrow before the encounter with Mr. Darcy.
Like wise, I am not the same person that I was before "Mr. C" came in to my life.
As an avid Jane Austen fan, I would like to make an analogy with her novel Pride and Prejudice and my cancer story.
When Elizabeth Bennet meets Mr. Darcy for the first time, she is confronted with someone that is so totally different from her she can't seem to understand what "He" is all about. The exchange of ideas and feelings has its way of changing her her. Although Elizabeth remains true to herself throughout the novel she does not look at herself and other people in quite the same narrow before the encounter with Mr. Darcy.Like wise, I am not the same person that I was before "Mr. C" came in to my life.
- I have learned much about the human spirit and the will to survive.
- I have felt the reassurance of unseen hands holding me at night when I cried myself to sleep, after being strong for others all day.
- I have heard the soft voice of comfort whisper to me as I sat waiting for chemo treatments.
- I was humbled by the older women who were being treated next to me and there dedication to do what ever it takes to stay here for their families a little longer.
- I know of heartache as I watched a friend leave this world for the next after battling the diseases.
- I have witnessed the thousands acts of service that were done for me as I past through a year of grueling treatments.
- I realized that this life is a blessing and a gift. I understand the importance of not wasting time.
- I have learned to relish friendships and relationship, both past, present and future.
- I have trusted in the Lord and not in myself.
- I have learned to loved more deeply.
I am a breast cancer surviver - but oh I am SO MUCH MORE.
To all the survivor out there, those with us still or those that we remember with love and admiration.

No comments:
Post a Comment