This is our first Christmas since 1983 that we have no children in our home. It is so very different and being so far from family just adds to the altered spirit of this Holiday season.
Our family’s typical Christmas Eve tradition calls for a delicious meal with family and friends. Which is then followed by a talent show and the reenactment of the nativity. This year was quite different; Ron and I slept in then went for a bike ride, went shopping for our service project gifts, got a foot massages and had apples, cheese and crackers for dinner! We watched a movie while we put together our gifts to each other, 200 toothbrushes and boxes of toothpaste for a group of Thais that support our neighborhood.
On Christmas morning there was no pitter-patter of little feet to see if Santa had come during the night so we were able to sleep in yet again! I made Ron some banana pancakes for breakfast while I had Thai chicken basil leftovers! Since I was missing my family my brother, Gene, Face timed me into the extended family Christmas Eve program back in Washington. I was able to see the talent show and the nativity pageant with the nieces and nephews. The sad part was that I had to watch them eat the yummy cream puff desert! After I dried my “I am missing my family” tears we boxed up our 200 gifts to deliver to our Thai families.

Then we loaded up their car with the goods and went to play Santa’s helpers for Christmas day. It was a most wonderful way to spend Christmas. If you can’t be with family then go out and serve others and all will feel the Christmas spirit.
“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”


No comments:
Post a Comment