Thursday, August 23, 2018

Always Looking for an Adventure - UK

"If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." 
Jane Austen from her novel Northanger Abbey.

I have taken this quote to heart and have found adventures all over the world.  For me it is not just to travel and check of a visited this state or that country list but it is to immerse myself in the culture and to mingle with those around me. Having moved back to the United States a little over a year ago after living in Asia for the pervious eight years I was feeling the need for a little adventure.  Whilst, using my proper English, thinking about where to go I decided to fulfill one of my life long dreams of visit the United Kingdom.  The first proper English novel I remember reading was Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen.  I must have been around 14 years old. It was that book that started my love affair with the Regency English period, 1810-1820.  Since then I have branched out into all things English, except music!  It was just a few months ago I listened to forty-six lectures on the Stuart and Tudor lines in English history.  My favorite shows are on the BBC channels and my novels of choice are usually all set England or Scotland!  So it was no big surprise to my husband of where I was planning our next adventure.  August 1st - August 22nd we were going on a road trip through-out the country side of England, Scotland and Wales.  Places I had read about and had dreamed about visiting since I was fourteen.
Dover Dover - send Heidi right over! 
Dover Castle looking over to France
White Cliffs of Dover
Our first stop was to visit the Kent area and to see the famous White Cliffs of Dover.  Looking out over the English Channel we could see Calais, France.  We ate fish and chips, the first of many on this trip, while looking out on the English Channel and asking ourselves why anyone would want to swim it- we didn't! 

Canterbury Tales


Canterbury was the first cathedral we visited.  It was the place where Thomas Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury, was murdered in December 1170.  The cathedral is a stunning edifice and truly a work of craftsmanship which was started in 1066.


Dracula By Day

Moving up the coast we visited the little coastal town of Whitby, England home of setting for Dracula.  The port town was quaint and enjoyed the best fish n chips I have ever tasted! Neither Ron or I had read the novel so we quickly download it, thank you online library, and started listening.  About half way through I am saying out loud to the speaker - just get the stake and kill the thing!  I found the novel to be a bid boring and repetitive - so much for my GOTH side.




This adventure has been amazing....and a trip not soon to be forgotten!


No comments: