Friday, August 24, 2018

Bronte Country - An English Adventure

"If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." 
Jane Austen from her novel Northanger Abbey.



We I last left off we were deep in Dracula Country, which I am grateful to have left as our next adventure took us to Bronte Country.  While I am a Jane Austen fan I do like to change it up a bit and read a Bronte novel. By that I mean, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.  I am not a big fan of Wuthering Heights by her sister Emily, nor her sister Anne's novel The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Charlotte Bronte completed four novels, Anne wrote two and Emily just one.  by far my favorite it Jane Eyre and as I have read it many times, watched the different movie adaptations I longed to see the moors of which she describes. 

Finally I was in Bronte Country...

Ron and I took a step back in time and visited the Parsonage Museum in Haworth, England; the home of the Bronte family from 1820 -1860.  Charlotte's father became the curate for the church in 1820 and the family moved to the parsonage. Today the parsonage holds much of the original Bronte household items as well as manuscripts, journal and photos. I loved everything about Haworth and the surrounding countryside. 





What is not to love about Bronte Country...Nothing 





No comments: