Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Grateful for the Small and Simple Things

Lately I have been pondering about all the things that I am grateful for, there are so many and it seems impossible to number them.  Last Saturday, on one of our adventures, we drove to visit the famous floating markets.  We arrived early at the first market and decided to take a river ride.  Laura hadn’t been on a boat on one of the canals so this was her opportunity.  As we traveled on the water we could see the filth of the water, sometimes the smell permeated the air.  As we entered one of the side canals we noticed homes and village people preparing for the day.  At that moment I became fully aware of how grateful I am for simple things, like clean water.  I have a water cooler in my home, as do most people in Bangkok to hold purified water for drinking and cooking.  The water is not really safe for drinking, it is okay to brush your teeth and for hygiene but they recommend bottled water for all other uses.  That morning I got up and showered in warm clean water in the privacy of my bathroom.  So when we witnessed the daily preparations done in the filth of that river in the open, my heart was saddened for the extreme poverty of some of the people here.  Yet, at the same time my heart was full of gratitude for just clean water.  We take so many things for granted, clean water, a house that is not in a constant state of collapsing, and privacy to take care of physical hygiene.  In this world of selfish men and women who are arguing over political issues, there are people who are happy with their quality of life, mainly because they know no difference, and are grateful for what they have even if that is dirty water.



Makes one grateful for the simple things in life, like

CLEAN WATER


2 comments:

Lauralee said...

love your background.. super cute!
Clean water has been my parent's focus for the last 18 months.. I have seen so many similar pictures and videos, of schools, and villages and longhouses where the church... LDS charities have come in to help the people get a system for getting clean water. What my parents say is amazing, and what I can see from pictures and videos, is that the people are so happy... so happy with so little....

what a great experience, I so wish I could send my kids to visit a place like that in an effort to help them be more appreciative...well-me too- it would be difficult to take in, but life changing I am sure.

The Angell Family said...

Help I can't read your blog and I want to really bad!!!