Friday, March 4, 2011

The Garden of India

After almost two days of traversing the city of Delhi I wanted to end my second day of sightseeing within a peaceful setting so I could wander with less of the touristy crowds.  I choose as my last stop, Lodi Garden.  The garden is between Old and New Delhi and spreads out over more then 90 acres.  It was relaxing to walk the gardens paths and let the scenes of the last few days fill my mind.  I felt great gratitude for the experiences that I have been given and for the things that I have had an opportunity to see.  



Established in the 15th-16th century by the Sayyids and Lodis, the vast grounds of Lodi Garden are famous.   Carefully kept gardens and the medieval monuments lend a charm to these gardens.  The several tombs situated in the garden belong to the Lodi and Sayyid Era and include Muhammad Shah's Tomb and Sikander Lodi's tomb. Muhammad Shah (1434 - 44) was the third ruler of Sayyid dynasty. 

His tomb has been built in a typical octagonal pattern with a central octagonal chamber, verandahs, three arched openings on each side and sloping buttress. Inspired by Mubarak Shah's tomb, this tomb has a more compact plan, high dome, matching chhatris and better proportions. Apart from this, there are other tombs, namely Bara Gumbad and Sheesh Gumbad. Bara Gumbad or the Big Dome is a square tomb with an imposing dome. Its facades appear to be two storied. 
Another interesting construction here is the 'Athpula' Bridge. It was built by Nawab Bahadur in the 16th century, during Akbar's reign. This is bridge is called Athpula (eight bridge), as it rests on eight piers, forming seven arches. 


What a wonderful way to end my second day... in The Garden of India.

No comments: