One of my earliest memories is when I was in Mrs. Anderson's Kindergarten class. It was May 1st and she was telling us about the festival of May Day. She told us about dancing around a May pole and making May Day Baskets. I made my first May Day basket that day!
Wikipedia explains that "The earliest May Day celebrations appeared in pre-Christian times, with the festival of Flora, the Roman Goddess of flowers. Many pagan celebrations were abandoned or Christianized during the process of conversion in Europe now a more secular version of May Day continues to be observed in Europe and America. In this form, May Day may be best known for its tradition of dancing the Maypole and crowning of the Queen of the May. The one thing that I remember is fading in popularity, and that is the giving of "May baskets," small baskets of sweets and/or flowers, usually left anonymously on neighbors' doorsteps.
I remember making May Day baskets and picking flowers from my yard - placing them in the homemade basket and leaving on the neighbors door across the street. Tony and Marion were quiet old neighbors and I always had a soft spot in my heart for them. I think they received May Day baskets every year that I was in elementary school. The baskets got more elaborate as I got older but the message was still the same..."someone this thinking about you and wishing you a wonderful May Day".
![]() |
| Heidi in 3rd row 6th little cutie! |
I remember making May Day baskets and picking flowers from my yard - placing them in the homemade basket and leaving on the neighbors door across the street. Tony and Marion were quiet old neighbors and I always had a soft spot in my heart for them. I think they received May Day baskets every year that I was in elementary school. The baskets got more elaborate as I got older but the message was still the same..."someone this thinking about you and wishing you a wonderful May Day".I miss those days...I missed it this year - but I think I will try to revive the May Day Basket tradition for next year.

1 comment:
I always think about Nana on May Day because one year I went out with her delivering flowers. It's one of my favorite memories.
Post a Comment