Friday, November 11, 2011

Sack of Food

I couldn't let this day go by without making a blog post after all it is
11-11-11 

The highlight of my day was knowing that I was is some small way  contributing to the flood relief effort here in Thailand.  I was able to help out our community here in Nichada by packing food bags that would be distributed tomorrow to the flood victims.  Most have lost everything they owned.  If they still have a home, the first floor is damaged and still contains water and they are living on the second floor.  Many have no way of getting food, so the food bags are delivered to them via a truck / boat system.

What was I packing in the food bags...

  1. Rice -  about 4 cups
  2. Oil - 8 fl.oz
  3. Sardines packed in tomato sauce - 1  6 oz can
  4. Milk - 1  8 oz carton
  5. Candles and small box of matches
  6. Toilet Paper - 1 roll
  7. Electrolyte packet
  8. Cookies/ crackers - small bag
We also had a few extra items to add to some of the bags, like soap and lotions from local hotels - even a few combs and tooth brushes.  We put all eight items in a small grocery bag and tied it up.  The sacks will be distributed tomorrow to flood victims in our area.  Those that receive the sacks of food, will smile and be every so thankful.  It makes me ask myself would I be grateful for a  SACK OF FOOD like that.  It is a humbling experience and I am learning the power of service and am seeing the will to survive in the faces of these beautiful Thai people.

No comments: