Saturday, April 14, 2012

Impossible Being Possible.

The most unusual thing happened today, Ron and I found ourselves at the mall with a little extra time, so we check out the movies.  Here in Thailand we might have to wait a little while for first run movies but we can both see a show, buy a large popcorn and two large sodas for less then $15.00 - so it is worth the wait.  Today we happened to stumble on a movie called " Salmon Fishing in the Yemen".  My first thought was this was a British version of a "River Runs Though It", and to my surprise it was a movie, not so much about fishing as it was about the impossible being possible.


The main story is that of a British fisheries expert is approached by a consultant to help realize a sheik's vision of bring the sport of fly fishing to the desert and embarks on an upstream journey of faith and fish to prove the impossible possible. In the movie there is a sheikh that wants to introduce Salmon into the Yemen River. 

 The sheikh will spare no expense to see this happen.  He says, " It would be a miracle of God if it happened.  I  know it. If God wills it, the summer rains will fill the wadis and the salmon will run the river.  And then my countrymen, all classes and manner of men will stand side by side and fish for the salmon. Their natures, too, will be changed, they will feel the enchantment of this silver fish and then when talk turns to what this tribe said or that tribe did...then someone will say, " Let us arise, and go fishing." 


That sounded a bit religious to me and made me thing of that line in the great fishing story, "A River Runs Though It"..."In our family there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing."  I was then remember reading some where someone once wrote, "Casting a fly becomes a ritual of grace".  During the fishing scenes in the movie – I could help notice the ribbon like line wave back and forth over the river and realized that fly fishing is a really graceful ritual; a religious act of patience, if you will.

My favorite line of the movie was, "I believe in it because it is impossible” just that one line opens ones mind to possibilities.  We live in a world that to me seems so closed minded - so structured we can't believe in anything. I think the world would be a different place if all of us could look for possibilities even in the impossible.
  • v Like realizing that it is possible to have a lasting marriage in this day and age two-day marriages and of drive by divorce.
  • v Like realizing that it is possible to raise intelligent, productive, independent children that are happy and healthy.
  • v Like realizing that it is possible to be happy during temporal trials, such as loss of job, in ability to have children or as in my case cancer.
  • v Like realizing it is possible to dream of things for the future when the future might look dim.
  • v Like realizing that it is possible to live with the Savior if I just work to be a little better each day.

“Salmon Fishing in the Yemen” is called a lighthearted movie, yet to me it had me thinking about the possibilities of the impossible.  I have hopes and dreams for the future and I now see that the impossible can be possible with a little “FLY FISHING”  - so I am going to CAST my LINE in to the WATERS of doubt and CATCH me some possibilities.  And to quote from the movie...

"I believe in it because it is impossible” 

Oh and BTW ladies in the movie Ewan McGregor is pretty easy on the eyes and really adds to the beautiful scenery!  ENJOY

No comments: