Lately I have become aware that I am sighing. It seems to
be that others are noticing that I am sighing too. According to Mr.
Webster a sigh is a verb, it means to emit a long deep, audible
breath expressing sadness, relief, tiredness or similar
feelings. I searched the WWW to see what I could find out...
What is a Sigh?
"Researchers define a
sigh at least two times as large as the mean breath volume, and it plays an
equivalent part in our breathing system since, it is an abruption in the normal
breathing mechanism. A sigh is a
pattern of breathing with a spontaneous deep inhalation and exhalation that
enhances the amount of air entering the lungs. This process usually occurs
during stress or when there is a relief over something that ended well. Scientists
in Belgium who studied the mechanism of a sigh report it as a re-boot button.
They found the mechanism of lungs differ before and after a sigh. If
breathing in one state for long, the lungs tend to become stiff and less
efficient in exchange for oxygen. Thus, a sigh helps in keeping our respiratory
system flexible by resetting our breathing pattern each time we sigh."
(bubble.com)
Okay that is all great - but
why is that I need to re-boot my breathing so often.
Some people sigh when stressed – Okay now you are talking to ME...
”The impact
of stress can choke a person if sigh did not exist. Researchers have concluded
that when a person is undergoing stress, the breathing tends to change,
however; a sigh tends to reboot the respiratory system while helping to loosen
the lung’s air sacs, which tends to bring in a sensation of relief and helps to
be a savior.”
Signs of stress:I should know all of these
signs of stress, as they have become my closest friends the past few years.Physical or emotional
tensions lead to stress. Stress can be positive or negative. Some examples of
stress when a sigh becomes precious are:
Tension over an issue-What kind of issue, like whether or not to give up SODA? YES
Irritability - Like easily bothered by irrational people? YES
Anger - Like the kind that happens when Dr. tells you to drop 10lbs ?
YES
Shock - Like reading the number on the Bathroom scale? YES
Crying - Like because of no matter what you do those pounds
are cemented to you? YES
Feeling powerless-Like because of chemo and cancer your metabolism is
"0"? YES
Loss of appetite - Not sure I know what that one is really like yet -wish I
could try it. NO
Aches and pains- I am 54 of course I have aches and pains, get
real.
Trouble concentrating- Like when I am trying to do my Venn Diagrams for math class? YES
"Researchers do not
recommend sighing a lot since it tends to add too much noise to the system and
could throw the system out of order." Really
it adds to much NOISE to the system...you mean one should not be re-booting the
system very often!! What happens if you do?
But wait here is the bright
spot in all of this sighing...
"Sighing when happy is
also helpful for the respiratory system since the re-setter hypothesis
concluded by researchers in Belgium help showcase that it is good for the lungs
especially when humans tend to forget to breathe when amused over something.
This brings relief to the diaphragm and other respiratory muscles. A
clinical psychologist in Switzerland has stated that adding a few sigh breaths
during mechanical ventilation of various lung patients have positive effects on
oxygenation of their arterial blood thus, helping make people feel better.
Thus, reiterating that sighing frequently has a bonus to our lungs and
indirectly to our longevity.
To sigh or not to sigh that
is my question? So is sighing good or bad - and how do I avoid it or
produce it...I just know that Life must be filled with a lot of STRESS and
HAPPINESS with all the sighing that I am doing!
No comments:
Post a Comment