Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Opening Gates


It was as if India itself opened her gates just for me.  I felt welcomed by the Indian people I encountered.  They wanted to shake my hand and I felt as if I was a celebrity.  Thank you, India, for opening your gates...it has opened my eyes to another beautiful part of the world.

The India Gate is the national monument of India. The gate is situated in the heart of New Delhi. Originally known as All India War Memorial, it is a prominent landmark in Delhi and commemorates the 90,000 soldiers of the British Indian Army who lost their lives while fighting for the British Indian Empire, or more correctly the British Raj in World War I .


Next on my amazing race to see as much of India as I could in the three days I was there, was a visit to the RED FORT.
The Red fort is a complex constructed in the 17th century by the Mughal emperor in the walled city of Old Delhi. The construction started in 1638 and was completed ten years later.   It served as the capital until 1857 when the British exiled the emperor and took control of India.  The British used it as a military camp until 1947 when India was made independent.  Today it is a tourist site and a powerful symbol of India’s sovereignty.



The largest of Old Delhi's monuments is Lal Quila or Red Fort whose thick red sandstone walls, bulging with turrets and bastions, have withstood the vagaries of time and nature. The Lal Quila rises above a wide dry moat in the northeast corner of the original city of Shahjahanabad. Its walls extend from two kilometers and vary in height from 18 metres on the river side to 33 metres on the city side.



The Red Fort


Amazing Architecture 


People Who Welcomed me to their Country



The scene as I left the Red Fort...it was truly an amazing first day in India...



2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow Heidi what an amazing experience you're having! I love seeing all the pictures...it's almost like I'm there..almost.

Audrey said...

Those are amazing pictures of the people. They should be in National Geographic. It just look so beautiful.