Thursday, April 28, 2011

Buried Treasure

The other night I attended an informal meeting sponsored by my church relating to record keeping.  It was relating to the way our church keeps records and documents of historical benefit.  I started to think about my blog and how I use it as an online journal. I could never keep a handwritten journal, I have tried for some thirty years and have failed miserably,  When I moved to Hong Kong in 2009 I started my blog to help keep my family informed of what was happening with my new life in Asia. My blog has been a sort of comfort to me and a place where I can express myself. 


While the presenters were speaking about the importance of records, I realized that even if no one reads, views or comments on my blog it is of great worth to me.  It is much easier for me to write things on my blog then in a journal - I think it is the accountability factor of knowing that someone might, just by chance, read what I have written, so I take the time to really think before I write. My blog is titled Heidi's Heartland, for a purpose; I have lived in many different places - but my home is always where my heart is.  I wanted to share not only the wonderful adventures that I am experiencing but also the personal growth, mentality and spiritually that I find myself undergoing.  Many of the things I share have very personal meaning only to me, and that is how it should be - others reading might find themselves reading between the lines to understand the meaning, but I assure you that they are just simple messages to remind me of the blessing that I have in my life.  I have no big secrets, I would like to think that I am a open book, with some well turned down pages that I review over and over because I don't have my story just right yet.  So as with my life - this blog is an on going adventure that has become very important to me.   


I was reading today about Anne Frank...



On Saturday, 20 June 1942, Anne Frank, a young Jewish girl who eventually died in the Holocaust, wrote the following in her personal journal: “I haven’t written for a few days, because I wanted first of all to think about my diary. It’s an odd idea for someone like me to keep a diary; not only because I have never done so before, but because it seems to me that neither I—nor for that matter anyone else—will be interested in the unbosomings of a thirteen-year-old schoolgirl. Still, what does that matter? I want to write, but more than that, I want to bring out all kinds of things that lie buried deep in my heart” (Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl [1952], 2).

Much like Anne,  I too have things buried deep inside me that are just waiting to come out. At times I have no one to really share things with and living overseas can be a lonely place; your old friends seem to put your friendship on hold, you are apart from family - you feel disconnected in away.  Of course you make new friends, but as any expatriate knows change is a constant - you are always saying good bye and hello.  My blog has become a way for me to feel connected to someone, even if it is only with myself.

Today, I was reading an article on journals, the author said "As we use personal journals for places to think, feel, discover, expand, remember, and dream, I believe we will come to better understand  Ezra Taft Benson’s words: “The Lord works from the inside out” (A Witness and a Warning [1988], 64).

My blog is a place for me to think, feel, discover, expand, remember and to dream.  I am looking forward to uncovering the treasure that I have buried deep inside while dreaming of treasure yet to be discovered with in myself. 

No comments: