Friday, December 31, 2010

One Wicked "TAT"


My Bali Tattoo...

While gearing up for a night dive I realized that scuba divers are a strange breed, and I am asking my self what the heck I am doing. 


This strange breed likes to go scuba diving when the sun goes down and it is pitch black over and under the water!!  You must use flashlights and have a back up light in case your main light goes out.  You have to stay close to your buddy in case their light goes out.  I am still asking myself what the heck I am doing.






Sea creatures that hide in the light of day come out at night - not sure if that is a good thing or not. Really BIG fish, long nosed pencil pike fish and then you see eels and octopus.  The sea bottom looks so different during a night dive.  





You must watch out for urchins the spiny ones especially.


So this is how I received my "wicked" Bali tattoo... I was diving at night, darkness above and beneath when... I feel a strong poke through my wet-suit - my leg starts to tingle and the stinging pain begins. Like all good divers I stay calm and motion to my buddy that I have to go to the surface. (Okay we didn't even have to do a safety stop as we were diving off shore in about 10-14 feet of water - still it is dark remember)  Oh and I am as calm as I can be with my leg stinging... I surface and tell the others that I have been stung by something.  I have already pictured myself being airlifted to the closest hospital with the antidote flying in from somewhere else...it just really makes the story sound better.  Really I swam to shore (a total of maybe 12 -15 feet) got my gear off and looked at my leg.  And there it was my "WICKED" Tattoo...


It looks like the Indonesian Island with Bali on the right... Or it could be one of the beautiful star formations that you find in the night sky.  What ever it looks like - I was a marked woman.  No one in the dive shop had seen anything like it so we had to go find the internet and DR. GOOGLE it.  Much to my relief the urchin sting was not life threating but it did sting - we followed the directions of washing the area with soap making sure no spines were still in the skin and the pain would be gone by morning - the sad thing was so was the "WICKED" tattoo!

2 comments:

Katrina Maye Winn said...

OUCH! Are the marks permanent?

Brent said...

At least nobody had to pee on your leg (I know, I'm an optimist...).