Monday, December 13, 2010

Where You Is..Part 1

One of my nephew's liked to always ask me where I was..but for a three year old it came out..Where you is? So for all of you wondering "Where I is?" I am about to show you.


Bangkok is a large Asian city, much like Hong Kong, Beijing or Saigon. I live about 30 miles north of Bangkok in Nonthaburi. Then I live a division of Nonthaburi called Pakkret. Within those boundaries I live in a gated neighborhood, which I call the compound, known as Nichada Thani. The "compound" was designed and built around the Bangkok International School or ISB. The school is at the heart of the neighborhood.


The whole neighborhood is walled and gated. There are three gates into the area which requires special sticker entrances or you must have a visitor pass. Outside out gates is the "REAL" neighborhood, full of colorful people, sights and smells.

Outside our HOOD
Bikes, cars, motorcycles and golf carts share the road just outside of Nichada Thani.  We can drive our cart to the mall using the back streets, it give John a lot of freedom.  Laura found a place that caters to the parking of golf carts!  Street dogs called here in Thailand as "SOI dogs" run wild and are usually found sleeping just about anywhere.  The picture of the house with all the trash is an actually house about 3 blocks from our communities entrance.  They keep our area clean, but some of the locals have a hard time.  I see oxen wandering in the fields and yards, not to mention goats and the "FREE RANGE" chickens!  The good news is that we have a 7/11 and a Subway!



The school is at the center, so naturally the main gate street leads right to the school.  Though the community kids drive gold carts, scooters and bakes to school as well as to the small villa "supermarket".  The roads are paved with paving stones and there are over 30 different housing subdivisions.  The one that I live in is called Promsook.  My subdivision has 8 large homes, with a gated entrance that has a security guard 24/7 as well as the outside gates.  My running route is around the lake, a nice 1.5 miles, which  makes my runs not only easy but enjoyable as well. 


Nichada Thani

So this is "Where I Is...Part 1"  
Nichada Thani, Samakee Road, Pakkret,
Nonthaburi, Thailand

1 comment:

Lauralee said...

what a great place! I bet you feel safe there- I think I would- fun to see where you is!