Saturday, September 11, 2010

Memorial

Looking back and remembering September 11, 2001 this morning I wanted to do something that would be a fitting memorial and since we live away from the United States and do not have a US flag that I can fly here in Thailand, we decide to take a two hour drive west to visit the WWII memorial for those POW's that lost their lives building the Japanese Railway through Thailand.  The part that we visited was made famous from the movie "Bridge Over the River Kwai"  although the story is not accurately correct - the main idea is right.  Many POW's from Australia, the British Isles and Holland lost their lives building that bridge. It was a death trap similar to the death march in the Philippines.  Many good men lost their lives. 


War is ugly and brings out the worst in human beings but at the same time it forces the best to come out in people. 


River Kwai

The bridge looking west

Metal Memories

Ties that Bound



I am a AMERICAN and I am proud of those who have fought and died for freedom all over all the world.   There have been some MEN who when they have had a little power have lusted after more and WAR has been the vehicle used for that purpose.  One day there will be PEACE, but I don't think the world is ready for that - just yet!  SO until then we will have WAR and Rumors of Wars all over the this world.

I honor those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001 the victims as well as those heroic people who we called to do there jobs: the police, firefighters and medics who's families are missing loved ones who willingly heeded the call to help.  I visited ground zero eight months after the events of Sept 11th - it was a humbling site and it is hallowed ground. 

May we NEVER FORGET.  I know this AMERICAN will not!


1 comment:

Audrey said...

That is beautiful. I love the pictures of the bridge. I was recently reflecting on our trip to the Holocaust museum and how moving it was. Those experiences really allow you to pause your life for a second and think how blessed we are.