Friday, September 3, 2010

Seasons Of Life

I was thinking the other day about my upcoming birthday and realised that life has four seasons.



Spring: Birth to 24 - we are developing at such a fast pace, curious about everything and won't listen to anyone. We learn as we progress through school, as we handle family relationships and as we make our way in the world. We think we are invisible, full of energy, and can do it all. We believe in Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. We have hopes of doing great things in the world and want to accomplish that by doing almost nothing. Spring is a Splendid season.


Summer: 25 to 49 - We have learned from our spring growth that money doesn't grow on trees and that living is expensive. Hopefully we have developed a love for the word: responsibilities, especially those associated with job, family, school, house and TAXES. Because the SUN is at the highest in the summer we sometimes feel as though we are getting burned by the government, inflation, and the cost of living! We speed around town getting from one soccer game to another while we are juggling PTA and BSA positions, the cops seem to always be more active in the summer season.


Autumn: 50 to 74 - This is the season that I am entering. Our bodies changes like the leaves on the trees. In fact I have viewed that some of my male counterparts are deciduous in their head covering, and I think it is permanent. It has been my observation thus far that the female counter parts seem to be the ones that the leaves are changing colors but they have a special way of covering the change up. In reality I am looking forward to this season in my life. The kids are grow, grandchildren are being born and I think it might be good to be an empty nester. This is a season for change. I can learn and experience new things. For me learning to cook Thai food is high on my list, I am interesting in photography and would one day like to do a photo book showing the peaceful side of cemeteries, and then there is learning how to work my new iPad. ( I received one for my birthday - thank heaven for Autumn birthdays!) I am excited for the changes in my life and in the lives of my family and friends - I have been richly blessed. I am sure that the SUN will still shine on me, I just won't feel the burn quite as bad.


Winter: 75 to 100 -For me this season will begin 25 years from today - that is a long way off. I have noticed that like the winter, people in this season have white caps but they still hold a twinkle in there eye like a star on a clear winters night. Some of the best holidays come in the winter months., Thanksgiving - and it appears to me that people in this season are thankful, some are thankful for each new day and for every breath. Christmas is a time of religious birth and family. Most of the great men and women that I know that are in this season of life have developed a clear understanding of who they are, why they are here on earth and where they are going when their last breath is gone. They seek and enjoy the company of family, some of whom are too busy for them and it leaves there days barren of cherished relationships.

My Spring season was fantastic, I learned many things and made many friends. Some of which I just saw at a high school 50th birthday party. We talked and laugh about our school days and I realized that friendships can last through many seasons. I am grateful to them for STAYing around.

As my summer season closes I realised that I did not escape unburned, cancer was part of the scorching process for me when I turned 40, it forever changed how I view life. With the economic crash, Washington Mutual Bank was reduced to ashes I found my self being pulled from my home, family and friends. The summer SUN was still high in the sky and the heat and humidity of Hong Kong was stifling at times. I found a friend in the summer SUN, in the way of peace and solace in hiking the beautiful lush green trails of Hong Kong which allowed me to ponder the beauties of this past summer season.


My new season is here and the crisp clean fall air is not what I feel living in Thailand, however I feel that this is my season to change. I am not sure about what color my foliage will take on, but I will accept the change as it comes, look at the SUN as it is setting a bit farther in the sky with hope for a glorious sunset when winter must come!

A Picture speaks louder then WORDS....


Heidi 1st grade

Heidi 2nd grade

Heidi 4th grade

Heidi 6th grade

This was the beginning of those awkward years and I guess I didn't bring any of those pictures with me.  That is why they call them the awakward years - your awkward!


Heidi Sophomore 1976 FWHS


Heidi FWHS Girls Swim Team - Standing on Left

Heidi FWHS Speech Team - 1st place Expos

Heidi, Jr Class President  1977 FWHS

Heidi Marie, Senior  FWHS  1978

Heidi  Freshman BYU Provo 1979

Heidi and Corbi Mud Fight - East Canyon Utah  1980

Heidi,  December 20, 1980

Heidi, Rexburg Idaho 1981

1982

1983

Heidi and Audrey  SLC 1984


Heidi and David 1987

Heidi, David and Audrey 1987

Laura and Heidi 1991

Heidi and John July 1995

Ron and Heidi, Hawaii  2000

Heidi and John Summer 2000 taken right before I was diagnosed with cancer.

The family summer 2001, I am in the middle of my Chemotherapy treatments

Mt. Rainier Winter 2001

Heidi Diving - thought I would never do this Summer 2005

Audrey, Heidi and Laura Summer 2009

Heidi Hiking Hong Kong - Fall 2009

Heidi's 49th Birthday  2009

Hong Kong Spring 2010

Nana Heidi and Austin June 2010
Seasons come and go, I seemed to have changed with them... Now it is AUTUMN and I am changing like the leaves on the trees.  Here is to FIFTY years of changing!!

2010  Heidi Marie  50 Years and changing

4 comments:

Lauralee said...

that was beautifully written... hope your 50th year is great!

Audrey said...

Fall is the best season of the year....

Cara and Gerriss said...

You are beautiful!

Audrey said...

When I read this the first time I couldn't see the pictures. Now that I can I must comment again. Mom, you are a serious babe. From first grade on! Dad is one lucky man!!