Monday, July 12, 2010

Camping or Glamping

I see nothing wrong with Glamping in fact I rather enjoy seeing how comfortable I can make my camping experience.  I sleep in a tent (I found it) and I do have a air mattress, okay it is more of an "Air Bed" but still it doesn't have a frame but I do put a mattress cover, sheets and blankets on it - and I have been known to match my sheets with the quilts and color coordinate with the color of the tent (sage green).  I don't do suitcases - in fact last year I brought plastic drawers - this year it was bins.  As for showering I think it is a good idea every day  - and for the record I do NOT wear makeup - I am camping and when in nature one must look NATURAL. (except for my hair color)  I think I like GLAMPING!  Here are my thoughts, and yes I did have my cell phone and computer - but no Internet I was camping after all!

Wednesday Wanderings



Camping is always an adventure, especially with my family. With two sisters and a brother plus parents and numerous grandchildren we seem to pack enough for a four week camping extravaganza – when in fact our yearly camping trip last 3 nights and three days! We have tried to go to different campgrounds around the west part of the state, usually the second or third week of July. As we were getting ready and packing for this year’s campout – my dad turned to me and said, “why is it we do this? It takes a lot of work to get ready for three days and then it takes just as long to clean up.” I have thought about this all day and as I watched all the grandchildren arrive at campground, I could help but smile and say “That is why we do this, we are happy to be together, we love the outdoors and we do not have the distractions of the ‘REAL’ world, so we rely on face to face conversation, sharing the cooking and tending of kids – it is a great way to reconnect with family. I love family – it is the most important thing in my life – after my testimony of Jesus Christ. I can wander all over this world and still will find home where ever my family is.


 



Thursday Thoughts


Woke to birds chipping and let me know it was time to get up. The air was clean and fresh. The trees were covered in green, not just leaves but the moss that hangs from them and in some cases covers them. The ferns are abundant on the paths and the lake is gently lapping behind the tent. I tie up my laces and hit the trail and road for my run. When I would hike and run in Hong Kong I would worry about snakes and spiders on my path – none of that here. In fact this morning my running companions happened to be three young deer grazing in the field next to the lake. They watched me for a long time, probably deciding if I was friend or foe – after about 3 minutes I guess they decided that I was friend – finished their breakfast snack of young grass and then scampered off into the other part of the field. As I continued my run I thought about how one tells if someone is a real friend or a foe? And by foe I don’t mean enemy but someone or something that is not worth our time – who would seem like a friend but in the end they were just looking out for themselves, selfish friends –the “what is in it for me” kind of friend.


To me a real friend is someone who loves you, knowing all of your flaws. It is someone who is supportive even if they don’t understand why you do what you do. They are honestly happy for you, and are those who try to see the best in you – especially when you are showing your worst.


A foe on the other hand, is someone who thinks themselves your friend, but is critical of your flaws, who tears you down rather than build you up. A foe would be someone who is jealous when good things happen in your life and who like to compare themselves with you – the friendship is a competition rather than a relationship.


I thought if I was a real friend or foe – I hope that I am a real friend. I try hard to be the kind of person I want and need in a friend. I hope all my friends out there know that my friendship is unconditional and that I am happy when they are happy.


See what happens on a 5 mile run out in the quiet morning hours – my brain engages on a whole new level. I love it!

Friday's Favorites

After our dinner I walked around the campground which actually restored my faith in the American Family.  I could see parents spending time with their children, reading and singing to them.  Many were walking around the grounds or biking together.  They were sitting by the campfires and laughter was heard throughout the campground.  It was a wonderful sound.  The voices of children enjoying the outdoors with their parents, it gave hope for American Families.






Saturday Script

The camp out came to a close - with everyone helping everyone pack up and head for home.   Tents were put away for another year, bikes loaded on bike racks, coolers emptied of food pack into the trucks and children placed into the appropriate family vehicle for the 1 1/2 hour ride home, dirty, tired and happy.  I have one amazing family - we only had 16 (20 on Thursday) of the 30 that are in my family here in Washington - but all were there in spirit.  Some people say that family and fish stink after three days, but that is not true for my family.  Tomorrow is my brother Genes 38th birthday and we will all meet at his house for dinner, now that just shows you that we are not just family but friends too.


So next July you can find us camping, I will be GLAMPING, yet again.  I know that the kids are just counting the days.  I wonder if I should bring my projector and laptop and have a big family movie night in the woods - now that would really be taking the Glamping a bit too far -- well maybe not.....



1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh man. I wish I could have been there. It sounds like it was a lot of fun.