Sights, Sounds and Smell... of MY Summer
SIGHTS...
One of my favorite things to see in the summer is the blooming of digitalis purpurea, or more commonly known as foxglove...
These remind me of spending my summers at our family cabin on Whidbey Island. The flowers color range from purple to white and everything in between. I loved to see these in bloom against the green of the trees and ferns. It is one of those signs that summer is here!
SOUNDS...
The first thing that come to mind as a sound of summer is the music coming from the "Popsicle" vendor. I saw the familiar van just the other day - I have to say that the music has changed and the price has gone up, I am not sure that even I can afford one anymore but the sounds bring back childhood summer memories.
SMELLS...
I was running the other night and smelled a familiar childhood smell, blackberry flowers or Rubus armeniacus blooms. The smell put a smile on my face and gave me that little boost I need to finish my run. For me memories are made and remembered by smells, so when I was running and the scent of the blackberry bloom drifted to my nose I immediately went back to my summers as a child, picking them and then making pies for my dad. To this day fresh blackberry pie is one of my favorites.
One of the others smells is Coppertone tanning lotion - I love that smell - it reminds me of being on Whidbey Island, sitting in a small dingy rowboat by myself reading Pride and Prejudice and feeling the SUN on my back as I drifted with the waves while Miss Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy were running across the pages of my book.
There are so many sights, sounds and smells of summer that have kept alive memories in my mind and heart. So what are some of your favorite sights, sounds and smells of summer?
No comments:
Post a Comment