Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dirt

While on my hike up to the peak of Mt. Timpanogos, I realized that there are different kinds of dirt!  On the trail I encountered all sorts of terrain - but for my purpose today I will call it all dirt! 

Dirt #1 - the nice type of dirt, not dusty, not too hard - it was just right, that was the kind of dirt that I found at the beginning of the hike.

Dirt #2 - this is the dark dusty kind of dirt.  The kick up your heels and you will cough kind of dirt.  I commented to Denise that hiking behind her sort of reminded me of walking behind "Pigpen" from Charlie Brown fame.  It is the kind of dirt that makes those disgusting black boogers in your nose that you try to get rid of for days following your hike! 


Dirt #3 - I understand that water if running will take the path of least resistance - and in this case it was the trail in which I was walking on.  So type 3 dirt is commonly know as MUD!  Please don't get me wrong, I like mud but mostly I like mud masks that I put on my face to make it look "radiant" (LOL) and I remember liking to making mud pies in my sandbox as a young girl - but this mud is really dirt 2 + water = dirt 3, gooey mud.  That kid of mud that is slippery and slimy and if you happen to step in it  your foot goes sliding one way while you go another and the stretch REALLY hurts!


Dirt #4 - Okay some might argue with me and say that this really isn't dirt - but part of a glacier snow pack!  I submit that it is not - this snow is dirty, wet, slushy, slippery and very cold. 

Dirt #5 - Loose and falling rocks.  How anyone can call this type of dirt a trail I will never know.  At times I felt my life was on the line... not really but it makes my blog so much more interesting.  No, really there were times when I could have slipped right off the edge due to the unstable rocks that I was traversing over. (Bonus points for using the word traversing in a sentence!)



Many different types of "dirt" made for some very tired and dirty feet!










But what is a little dirt when you are hiking a mountain!

No comments: