Sunday, July 18, 2010

Learning to Spit!

Yesterday John and I made out way down to Oregon, to see Austin and his parents.  Today we drove to Rexburg, Idaho to see Laura, Mandy and David!  Now here is the thing, I have to do all the driving and it is a pretty boring drive.  The scenery in the Blue Mountains doesn't change much, neither do the cows standing in the fields or the construction work on I84!  John is not a good co-pilot,  he likes to sleep and talking sometimes is a chore for him. Now don't get me wrong he is a great traveling companion for a 15 year old boy - but really he is not Audrey or Laura!  

So I have had to resort to eating sunflower seeds to stay awake!  My personal favorites are the chile-lime variety - but the cracked pepper ones are good too.  Much to my dismay I have learned that I have a feature that I didn't know had until this trip - I can't spit!  John can crack the seeds in this mouth, eat the kernel and then spit the shell nicely into a paper cup.  I watched him over and over and I am just seed-spitting inept.  John tried hard to teach me but I am just couldn't get the hang of it.  I have to say that it would be nice for my fingers if I could get the spitting talent  down - after awhile the salt makes them numb! 

I am sure that I will have time to practice the spitting techniques that John is trying to teach me we still have to drive to Provo, Lindon, Logan and back to Washington after David and Mandy's wedding.  I hope to try my luck on the Jalapeno flavored seeds, they might give me an incentive not to use my fingers.   Soon I will be 50 years old and it would be sad if I never learned to spit correctly.  I have heard that learning new things helps one to avoid the pitfalls of Alzheimer's, this will really stretch my talents but I am determined to Learn to Spit like the PRO's!

No comments: