When I was expecting our third child I just knew that it was going to be a girl so I only had one name picked out, Laura Irene. Laura was Ron's paternal grandmothers name and Irene was my paternal grandmothers name. I loved my grandma Irene, she taught me a lot about unconditional love...
Even though as a young girl I lived in Seattle and she lived in a far away place called Tooele, Utah I always knew that she loved me. Every birthday I would receive a card with birthday wishes. As I grew older and we would take trips to visit her and my grandfather I felt her love as soon as I walked into their house. It was an old small house that they rented from my great uncle. Yet, somehow she made it a home full of love. She worked for bakery and always smelled of dough and sugary goodness. She would take me to the bakery sometimes and have me watch as she made bread or cookies. I knew that she loved me because she always let me pick out my favorite item and would have me sit and eat it right there next to her. We didn't get to visit often but when I did it was special.
When I graduated from High school and decided to attend BYU far from my home, she was always there for me. The memory of those few years came flooding back to me on my latest long drive. I remember just being so tired of living with roommates, cooking for myself, working full time (while my roommates didn't have to work) and going to school, not to mention difficulty with BOYS and dating! I was just so tired of my life, I would drive the long way around from Provo to Tooele, on the small country roads through Stockton, Utah just so that I could have some peace from the busy freeway. I would arrive, grandma Irene would hug me tight, kiss my cheek and help me to the back bedroom, with the very old creaky iron bed. I would just snuggle right into that creaky old bed and fall fast asleep. When I would wake up grandma Irene would have my favorite foods waiting for me. She would go off to work and I could just stay in bed and sleep peacefully surrounded by the love that permeated in the creaky bed and heavy wool blankets. The other day I was so tired, and all I could think about on my drive was my grandma Irene and that comfy creaky iron bed! Even writing about it now brings a tug at my heart strings and tear to my tired eyes. She never expected anything in return, she never required anything of me, she just LOVED me. How grateful I am for her and her unconditional love for me, a young girl so far from home and working so hard to be accepted by her peers. I felt that I never quite fit in at BYU, or in Utah for that matter -but over the years I have learned that other young adults were not going to feel like I did during those years and have tried to extend the unconditional love to all young adults that I have taught in seminary and institute. Love is something that you do it is not just a feeling and my grandma Irene taught me that.
I hope that by naming my daughter after her, the legacy of love will continue in Laura's heart as well. She has the same gift for love that her great grandmother has - it is a perfect name for her. I love the name of IRENE.
1 comment:
Oh Momma! I love this. And I do love my name
Post a Comment