Whenever the month of June comes around, my children and I always look forward to the last day of school. Two of them always look forward to their report cards to come home in the mail while the other two dread even the thought! As their mother I was never surprised by the report cards because I usually knew how each one was doing in each class. I would like to think that I was a wonderfully informed parent. This year has been kind of different. But, here is the report cards I would give my kids:
Audrey Lynn of course receives A+ in all of her subjects - she produced the best final project which was due at the end of May. Austin Paul could not have been a better final project for the year. Of course, I think she had a little help from her lab partner, Toren. I am not sure how she is going to top that project next year!
David Eugene in an amazing second semester will raise his grades to A+ in all areas too. He handled a difficult family/personal communications class with such finesse I was impressed. He's found an amazing partner in which to study the rest of life's educational experiences with and we think she is great!
Laura Irene has developed some interesting skills this school year. She acquired new roommates, a new apartments twice. She has been driving with "Jimmy" all over the country, well at least between Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Utah - plus Nevada and California! She survived "Running out of gas 101, with the help of a teaching aid that I purchased before I moved to Hong Kong, AAA!! Laura on her final report card for this school year will not surprise you, A+.
That brings us to my baby, John Blain, AKA-"JAYBEGEE"! Although John may of struggled with his HKIS High School classes - in my book he gets and A++! I think his brother and sisters would agree with that grade too. John left his home, family and friends without complaint and moved to a new county and is now getting ready to yet move again to another new country. He has grown not only 5 inches taller but has become quite stylish and has learned the art of going through at least one PACK of gum everyday!
So, as a mom I am feeling pretty good about the the 2009-2010 school year! I am feeling so good about their report cards I think I will open mine. I am a little nervous...but here goes
Communications A+
(I have tried to keep in touch with all my family and friends)
History A+
(I have tried to learn about the history of my new country, learn the customs)
Geography A-
(I did a fair amount of traveling but still have to look at a map now and then)
PE A++
(Hiking the 50K in one day pushed me from an A to an A++)
Economics B
(I struggled with the whole HK$, US$ exchange)
Science B
(Learned about SUN & it's effects on me, also made some mistakes in the lab)
Home Ec B
(I learned to cook in my easy bake oven, but also learned to call 'Ring a Dinner")
Math F
(I can't do division! Dividing my family this year just was not easy for me)
Language Arts D
(I only learned about 5 words in Cantonese- not nearly enough for living in HK)
Drivers Ed C
(I passed the first part of my motorcycle test, it only took me twice!!)
I know I could have done better this year, but I really did try to do my best. It was an educational experience as well as an emotional roller coaster. Hopefully I have learned important lessons and have improved my life and the lives of the people that I have come in contact with. The friends that I have made while living in Hong Kong have been wonderful tutors for a new inexperienced expat like myself.
I hope that next school year will be even better.
1 comment:
you've got great kids heidi... I am sure this last year was hard on all of you- I am sure it wasn't easy! That is great David is getting married! how exciting...
you are amazing to me heidi- all that you do, you are great mom- I hope I can be as good as you!
Post a Comment