I woke up again this morning to RAIN. Since I had decided not to walk or run yesterday I was determined to haul my butt out of bed and get outside even in the rain. I caved into the sad puppy dog eyes of Baxter and leashed him up, which proved later to be a mistake, and off we went.
The rain drops were coming down at a fairly steady pace, the air was crisp and clean, actually it felt more like fall then summer. As I started walking I was wondering if I should have brought an umbrella. In Hong Kong I would always carry one in my purse for those emergency downpour I would sometime encounter, but I never took them on hikes or walks because the air was usually always warm and so was the rain. As my mind was trying to decided whether to go back and get an umbrella or not, Baxter decided it was time to tree a squirrel! The decision was made, no umbrella.
The longer that Baxter and I walked the more I thought about umbrellas. Sometimes when I think about a single word for so long it either sounds stupid or it really gets me thinking. I am glad to report that the word umbrella is not stupid. Therefore, I must have done some serious thinking...
I first thought about the definition of umbrella : a round collapsible canopy of plastic or waterproof material on a frame at the top of a handle, held in the hand to protect somebody from rain, snow, or sun. I thought that was a pretty clear definition, but my mind wasn't done thinking...an umbrella is also something that gives support, protection, or authority. So, here is where my mind really started to run as I walked in the rain..
My religion and faith is an umbrella that I have in my life. It supports, protects and is an authority in my life. I always have it with me, but sometimes I forget to take it out and use it. That is not the umbrellas fault it is operator error, how stupid is that. When storms are brewing in my life I sometimes walk about without my umbrella. Thank heavens that during those times I have usually pull it out somewhere in the beginning of the storm, but am already wet and cold from not having the protection. When will I learn to always have that umbrella up, open and ready to protect me.
My family is an umbrella in my life. They offer support and protection, even when I have lived far away. Throughout my life I have had to use the umbrella of family. It has not been easy for me to grab this umbrella, I had this notion that I could just be their umbrella and that I didn't need one. Then when I was diagnosed with cancer in 2000 I found out just how strong the family umbrella was and how bad I not only needed it but needed to use it. Audrey was 17 and was a junior in high school, she decided to do running start that year so she was able to be home every afternoon to help me. My mom would come over in the mornings to do laundry and cleaning during my 6 months of chemo. My three sisters would take my kids to events, games and had them over for sleepovers. Just knowing that this umbrella is in good working condition and ready to use at any moment has been a comfort. I love this umbrella and only wish that I could be more of an umbrella for them.
Friends can be an umbrella in my life. Throughout this past year I have discovered which umbrellas are really useful and which ones are just a fashion statement. It is amazing to me that I can have a beautiful umbrella in my closet and think that it is going to work for me when I need it, and just when I pull it out I realize that the frame is broken, the release button doesn't work and it has become useless. So, I go back to the umbrella stand and grab the umbrella that is plain, simple and trustworthy. I am grateful to those reliable umbrellas that are always in my stand waiting to offer support and protection even when I have brushed them aside for a more fashionable one.
Today while the rain drops pelted down on my head I was reminded of the "UMBRELLAS" in my life and am grateful for the support and protection they give me as I go through life's weather changes.
I am so tired of RAIN and I am waiting for the SUN, but even in the SUN you may need to use an umbrella.
I am so tired of RAIN and I am waiting for the SUN, but even in the SUN you may need to use an umbrella.


1 comment:
love it heidi... love you! I think you are amazing- just love your insight! I hear it is suppose to be a nice weekend.. I am ready!
Post a Comment